Tuesday, September 13, 2011

1st successful day of homeschooling....

Notice I said first successful. We have given it a go over the last few weeks and things were not really working. So mama had to readjust her wants, needs, and expectations and understand that even though Greyson is very bright, loves to talk and knows words and things I sometimes question how he knows he is only 4. So after I took a step back and evaluated what I really wanted him to learn in this first year of homeschooling I realized that again he is 4 and we have PLENTY of time to learn all the "other" things I was hoping we would learn this year. Right now if we can review our letters and their sounds, count to 20 and learn basic skills that I feel most children his age should know I will feel that we have accomplished something.

Yesterday afternoon after another failed attempt to homeschool I gave starfall a try and he LOVED it. I really didn't like the idea of him being on my computer but hey if it will get him to practice what he already knows then I guess that is how it is going to be. We also had our 1st swimming lesson yesterday and he loved that as well so we are going to be doing weekly lessons until we move in 5 weeks.

But back to today's post topic.....He had said a few days ago that he wanted to learn about maps, fish and Star Wars. So today we started on maps. I got the book Me on The Map to start our map learning and also purchased a .94 place mat with the United States on it, and Beginning Geography: How to read a map (this link is to the booklet you can buy with all 3 volumes in it which I should have bought!).

So we started off with reading the book Me on The Map and then we worked on drawing a map of Greyson's room. Mama decided to use a yellow marker and let Greyson trace of color in what I drew. Worked out perfectly. He loved it. Now for a few pictures :)

The beginning:

The book we used:

Hard at work!
Greyson's finished map of his room:


And just for cuteness factor our dog Sebastian :) which Greyson insisted we take a picture of. Now if only he would get busy packing up those totes behind him.........

So there you have it. This is our school day today except that Greyson played with his magnetic letter thingy I got from the teacher supply store and I plan to do a nature study with him this afternoon. I am sure I will post pictures from that tomorrow :) Today was a good DAY!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad today went good for you!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey! So am I ! I needed a good day after the many bad we have had :)

    ReplyDelete